Do you know how to make hummus?
I didn’t until a while ago.
Kept hearing about how delicious hummus is, but though it was some complicated recipe that takes a whole lotta time to make!
Boy, was I wrong!
Hummus recipes are really easy to prepare, and quick too!
I use the plural, since the original recipe is – just like many other ethnic recipes – nowhere to be found.
But that’s OK. The main ingredients and basic steps to prepare it are enough to prepare your own delicious hummus recipe from scratch!
This version contains the famous tahini (sesame condiment), which I made from scratch.
If you’re looking for an even faster hummus recipe version, you could buy tahini at the supermarket. Homemade is healthier and yummier though 😉
Without any further ado, here’s how to prepare hummus at home.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- 10 ounce canned chickpeas (300 gr.)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- few tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- salt & pepper
- sweet paprika
- few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- First, prepare your tahini condiment. It's ridiculously easy!
Using a skillet on a moderate flame, toast the seeds for about 3 minutes. Make sure to stir constantly, as they tend to 'burn' quickly!
- Let your toasted sesame seeds cool for a few minutes, then add them into your blender. Blend for about 1 minute, then add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and blend again until smooth.
Make sure to blend a few seconds at a time, as the mixture tends to overheat.
If you have a mortar and pestle you could use to prepare your tahini, even better.
- On top of your tahini, add the rest of your ingredients: your canned (and drained) chickpeas, lemon juice, 2 cloves or garlic, salt & pepper and chopped parsley.
Begin to blend and add a few tablespoons of water to help make your hummus more creamy.
- Serve hummus with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika.