Are you interested in an easy to prepare moussaka recipe?
Try this ground meat & eggplant casserole!
I admit it’s not exactly a quick recipe, but it’s really delicious and actually easy to make.
I’ve used eggplant to prepare it, but you can very well replace the aubergine with potatoes (cut like round potato chips & fried in oil).
Here’s how to prepare eggplant moussaka:
|Prep Time||1 hour|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 20 ounces ground meat (600 gr.)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion (small)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- parsley (chopped) (optional)
- salt & pepper
- sweet paprika (optional)
- meat spices (optional)
Start with the eggplant
- Wash and cut the eggplant into rounds (I've peeled it as well, but you can leave the peel on if you prefer).
- Sprinkle each eggplant slice with salt and let them sit for about 20 minutes (or while you prep the meat sauce) on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, chop the carrot and onion and fry them in olive oil.
- After about 10 minutes, add the meat.
- Let everything fry for a few minutes, while mixing well. When the meat changes color, add your tomato sauce and spices. Add 1-2 glasses of water as well and let the meat sauce boil over low heat.
- Your sauce is ready when it becomes thick and no longer liquid.
- Add the chopped parsley and you're done with the sauce.
Grill the eggplants
- While the meat sauce is boiling, grease each eggplant slice with olive oil and grill them all, on both sides.
Sour cream sauce
- Mix sour cream with the whole egg and grated cheese.
Assemble your moussaka casserole
- In a heat resistant tray, add 1 layer of grilled eggplant slices, then a layer of meat sauce on top.
- Continue with another layer of eggplant, and another of ground meat.
- Add the 3rd (and last) layer of eggplant slices and pour the sour cream sauce on top.
- Cook your casserole in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 minutes and serve hot!