These fried giant donuts with jam and sour cream are simply mouthwatering.
They’re really fast and easy to prepare. The perfect recipe if you’re strapped for time but in the mood for something sweet!
I’ve discovered this dessert while eating out one day, a few years back. I remember seeing the giant donut portion brought to someone sitting over the next table and thought… hmm… that looks suspiciously delicious! I must have it!
So, I did.
It was love at first bite!
I think the restaurant around me could have gone down in flames, I wouldn’t have bothered to get up and leave until I finished my donut!
Problem was, this dessert is quite expensive, especially if you also have to fork out money to pay for the main course while eating out. So, why not just cook it at home?
|Prep Time||20-30 minutes|
|Cook Time||about 10 minutes|
- 2 cups cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 10 tablespoons white flour
- 1 lemon (for the zest)
- 1 pinch salt
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Dough: mix together the cottage cheese with sugar, lemon zest, flour and a pinch of salt (use your hands to prep the dough and if necessary, add some more flour).
- Divide the dough in 6 equal parts.
- Donuts: Using your hands covered in flour, divide each of the 6 parts in 1 big part and 1 small. Now form 6 big donuts, with a whole in the middle and 6 little dough balls.
- Fry each donut and dough balls in oil, on both sides (it takes about 2-3 minutes to fry a donut on 1 side, then another 2-3 on the other.)
- Take the out and place them on some absorbent paper, to absorb the excess grease.
- Serving the donuts: First, place the donut with the whole on a place. Add jam and sour cream on top. Next, place the donut-ball on top and, again, add some jam and sour cream on top.