This delicious eggplant salad is the perfect appetizer or even a great quick side dish.
When the eggplant season kicks in, you can usually buy the vegetable for a very cheap price.
The recipe is so easy and quick, you’re gonna want to save it alongside your other frequently prepared recipes.
If you clear up some space in your freezer, you can even store some for a few months (after you grill or broil it), so you can enjoy this delicious eggplant salad during winter as well.
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy cold salads,and this one is among my favorites.
Many prepare it with mayo, but I prefer the light version, similar to the melitzanosalata (Greek eggplant salad).
Here’s how to prepare eggplant salad:
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||15-20 minutes|
- Grill the eggplants on all sides, either directly on the stove's flame, or broil them.
- While the eggplants cool for a few minutes, prepare the rest of the ingredients: peel and chop the onion, squeeze fresh juice from the lemon.
- Scoop out the inside of the grilled eggplants carefully.
- Chop them, using a regular knife.
- Now, add all ingredients into a tall bowl and, using the hand mixer, mix together the chopped eggplants, onion, lemon juice, salt and a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- You can also add 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic into the mix, for more flavor.
- Grilling the eggplants gives them a nice taste, but you can "bake" them in your oven, using a normal baking tray, to avoid 'stinking up' your kitchen. (I prefer grilling on an open flame since the salad tastes better).