I have to admit I’m a big fan of pasta, especially mac and cheese… but we all know how bad pasta or macaroni are for our diet. They are full of carbs and, unfortunately, depending on what type of pasta you use, you may add bad carbs to your diet.
Well, to prevent that from happening, you can use the whole wheat type. It tastes about the same and it’s a healthier choice.
Now that we have that settled, there’s another problem: every time I eat macaroni or pasta, I’m hungry half hour later. I could eat an entire bag of cooked pasta… and still I’d be hungry after a short while.
I found a solution to that too: you can combine the pasta with veggies!
Better yet… REPLACE half of the pasta on your plate with veggies. Here’s how:
- half a cup of macaroni
- half a cup of sliced zucchini
- 1 small tomato
- 1 spoon of olive oil
- grated cheese (come on… who eats pasta without cheese!)
How to cook:
- First, boil the pasta, using the instructions on the package (okay, so throw it in water, add a pinch of salt and let it boil)
- Since the macaroni need only a few minutes to boil, meanwhile you can prepare the veggies: chop or slice them and fry them in the olive oil in a pan.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to your pan. Mix it with the veggies and let it sit on the stove for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve! Oh, don’t forget to grate some cheese on top.
This is perfect for lunch or dinner. The important thing is that you have your daily veggies AND you cut off on the carbs you would have eaten from a full cup of pasta.